Skip to content

Financial support by step-parents

September 8, 2016

Given how common second marriages and blended families have become, you would think that there would be a clearly defined set of rules for when a step-parent becomes financially responsible for the biological child of their ex spouse or partner. In general, if an individual voluntarily assumes responsibility for a step-child (and treats the child…

Read More

Second marriages, death and joint tenancy

August 23, 2016

Married spouses often hold real estate in joint tenancy, as opposed to tenants in common. The principle of joint tenancy is that both parties own the property as an undivided whole and, immediately upon the death of one, the surviving joint tenant acquires an undivided 100% interest in the property. The property never falls into…

Read More

Uncontested divorce

Divorce is usually the final step in the separation process. It happens after the separation agreement is negotiated and signed, or after a final order. Although there are several legal grounds for divorce available, including adultery and cruelty, most people divorce on the basis that they have been separated for one year. In this respect, divorce is considered ‘no fault’. Assuming that adequate financial provision has been made for any children of the marriage, after one year of separation, either spouse is entitled to a divorce.

Separation can be unilateral and it doesn’t necessarily require physical separation, such as one party moving out of the family home. If one person has a subjective intention that they are living separate and apart, then the one year period starts running as of this date. A separation is not an agreement between the parties to separate- if only one person has the intention to live separately and apart, then that is enough to entitle them to request a divorce after one year.

Because the date of separation is so important in the calculation of both party’s respective net family properties, there can be some negotiation required in order to determine the true date of separation. For most people, however, establishing the date of separation is not a contentious matter.

In applying for an uncontested divorce, you will need to have your original marriage certificate. Most provinces allow you to order these certificates online if you never obtained one at the time of your marriage. If you have children, you also have to confirm that you have either a written agreement, or a court order, with respect to child support. If you file an Application for an uncontested divorce without including information on child support, the Application may be delayed or denied.

If you’re on relatively good terms with your ex, Applications for uncontested divorce can be filed jointly. This eliminates both the costs of personal service of the Application on your ex, and the waiting period after your ex is served before you can move on to the next step in the process.

After the divorce order is issued, there is an opportunity for either party to appeal the order. After 30 days, if there is no appeal, the court can issue a divorce certificate. It is the divorce certificate, not the divorce order, that confirms you are legally divorced and entitled to remarry

Family Law

Separation Agreements

When people are contemplating divorce, the goal is to negotiate a mutually-acceptable separation agreement between spouses which addresses outstanding issues.

Read more


Clients want to know how much a lawyer will cost. This depends on many factors, including the level of animosity that exists between the parties and/or the lawyers.

Read more

Property Division

When married people separate, both spouses are entitled to an equalization of the net family property. Marriage is considered a financial partnership.

Read more


Litigation is expensive, contentious and highly emotional. Litigation may be necessary if the alternative means that you don’t have any chance of getting what you’re entitled to.

Read more

Child Support

Parents in Ontario have an obligation to financially support their children. The amount payable is determined in accordance with the federal Child Support Guidelines.

Read more

Spousal Support

Spousal support, also known by the American term ‘alimony’, refers to ongoing maintenance given to a spouse which is either for an indefinite, or fixed, term.

Read more

Unbundled Services

With the cost of legal services- particularly litigation- being so high, it’s not always possible to be able to afford full representation from a lawyer throughout your case.

Read more

Child Custody

When people separate, it can be difficult to negotiate a workable custody and access schedule, particularly if both parties are not planning on residing in the same city.

Read more

Uncontested Divorce

Divorce is usually the final step in the separation process. It happens after the separation agreement is negotiated and signed, or after a final order.

Read more

Why use me as your lawyer?

I'm a lawyer representing clients in Kanata, Nepean, and the west-end of Ottawa.

Kerry Fox, LL.B.
Barrister & Solicitor

90 Centrepointe Dr,
Nepean, ON K2G 6B1

Tel: (613) 224-4400
Fax: (613) 226-8767

Hours & Information

There is plenty of free parking located at the back of the building.

Monday to Friday
8:30AM - 5:00PM
I also have Saturday appointments available.

Scroll To Top